About 
 

A History of the Building

"The mill without the works"

The foundations for St Peter's were laid in 1788.  The building was finished and licensed for worship in 1790 and consecrated in 1791.  A square, brick building, it was sometimes called "the mill without the works" for its similarity to the local paper mills.  The south wing and gallery were added in 1804, the north wing and gallery in 1835.

 

"An architectural monstrosity"

Major redevelopment took place in 1904 with the building of the Edwardian chancel.  No attempt was made to match it to the Georgian style of the nave and plans to rebuild the nave were too costly, leaving a building described in 1971 as "an architectural monstrosity".

 

"Church without walls"

Inside, however, every effort was made to unify the two halves of the building, including the 2006 building project when the narrow entrance was also replaced by the glass doors.  The present building is now full of light, fit for the 21st century; a "church without walls".
 

Church-Site-OB-DSC02443-copy w   Church-Site-OB-DSC02451-copy w
content-divider